http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Coconut_Cookies_Tea_37-copy_600main.jpg 400 600 kbw71 http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/KB-Logo.png kbw712012-07-20 16:14:012016-12-20 18:59:41Coconut Cookies
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Lightly butter a cookie sheet and line with parchment paper.
- In a very clean, dry mixing bowl with a clean whisk (free of grease or whites will deflate), mix the egg whites. Start on a slow speed until they bubble and then increase to medium speed.
- Add salt to the whites and increase speed until soft fluffy peaks form.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar and mix the whites for about 2 minutes until thick and glossy (think of marshmallow fluff).
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut, remaining granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix well with your hands, making sure to crumble all the brown sugar so that the mixture is even.
- Take a scoop of the egg white mixture and add it to the coconut mixture. With a spatula, gently mix by folding as if you are taking a paddle and inserting it into the center of the mixture, then scooping up and out. Do this gently.
- Add the mixture to the remaining egg whites and continue folding.
- Drop the mixture by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 12 – 15 minutes until golden.
- Set aside to cool for a minute until the bottom is slightly sticky but with care you can gently lift the cookies off the pan. Transfer them to a cooling rack. Let cool and serve.
- The final texture should be soft and chewy.