http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/turkey_sausage_600Main.jpg 400 600 kbw71 http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/KB-Logo.png kbw712012-09-20 19:54:122016-12-16 05:51:30Spicy Turkey Sausage Skewers Over Tossed Arugula
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Wooden skewers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Salt & pepper
- 4 large bunches arugula, trimmed of large stems
- In a large bowl combine ground turkey, red bell pepper, parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, nutmeg and egg. Gently mix – do not overwork the ground turkey meat. Form scant ¼ cups of mixture into ½ inch patties. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy large skillet over high heat. When oil is shimmering, drop turkey patties into pan and brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Do this step in batches, if necessary (The turkey sausage is cooked through when they are firm to the touch and they are no longer pink in the middle). Remove turkey sausage from skillet and transfer to a platter or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Place each sausage at the end of a skewer.
- While the turkey sausage is cooking, make the vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil, lemon zest and juice. Season to the taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, toss the arugula with the vinaigrette in a large bowl. Lay the skewered turkey sausage around the top edges of the tossed salad and serve. Make sure the sausages are not too hot or they will wilt the arugula.