http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/503_Cook_Flank_Steak_Pinwheels_600MAIN.jpg 400 600 kbw71 http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/KB-Logo.png kbw712012-07-19 14:20:482016-12-20 19:58:20Flank Steak Pinwheels
Flank Steak Pinwheels
- 1 2.5-pound flank steak
- 4 sheets of plastic wrap
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 plentiful basil bunch, about 20 leaves
- 2 portabella mushrooms, sliced very thin
- 3 wooden skewers, soaked in water and cut in half
- Cover a plastic cutting board with 2 sheets of plastic wrap and lay your flank steak on top. Lay another two sheet of plastic wrap on top of the flank and, using either a mallet or a small sauté pan, pound out the steak until it is 1/2" - 1/4" thick. It would be best to end up with a steak that is 9”x16” long.
- Remove the top two layers of plastic wrap and season with salt and pepper. Then begin layering the other ingredients on the steak in even layers.
- With the nine-inch side facing you, begin rolling up the steak towards you. Make sure that your roll is tight and then wrap tightly with the first two sheets of plastic wrap. Stick your wooden skewers into the roll, evenly spaced, to keep it from coming undone on the grill. Keep in mind that when you cut your steak, each serving will have 1 skewer going through it. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove steak from refrigerator and slice into 1 1/2 inch rounds.
- Heat the grill to medium high, brush with olive oil. Place the rounds on the grill to cook until steak is about 2/3 cooked, 8-10 minutes. Flip steaks and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve hot.