http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/509_Cook_Buttercream_Pound_Cake_600MAIN.jpg 400 600 kbw71 http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/KB-Logo.png kbw712012-09-20 17:02:292016-12-16 05:57:13Buttercream Pound Cake
- For the orange peels: 2 oranges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- For the buttercream icing: 1 stick chilled butter, cubed
- ½ box confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For the cake: 2 cups chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1 pre-made pound cake
- For the orange peels: Using a y-peeler, peel long strips from the oranges, moving from stem to end. Remove any of the white pith with a paring knife if necessary. Juice the oranges and reserve 3 tablespoons for the buttercream icing
- Alternating diagonal cuts, cut triangles from 2/3 of the orange peels, leaving the rest as whole strips.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, dissolve the sugar in the water. Add the orange peels and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the candied peels onto a paper towel and let dry.
- Roll up the candied strips to make orange roses and leave the triangles as petals.
- For the buttercream icing: Using a mixer set with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Then slowly add the sugar, orange juice, and vanilla and continue to beat for another 5 minutes.
- For the cake: Cut the pound cake to make two layers and lay both layers out as if you are making a sandwich. Spread a thin layer of butter cream on both layers of the sandwich and sprinkle one side with hazelnuts, and then close your sandwich.
- Spread butter cream on the top of the cake and decorate the top of your cake with candied oranges and remaining hazelnuts.