Apple Casserole Recipe
I think a dessert is made so much sweeter with the addition of fruit. Take a flourless chocolate cake I tasted the other day. It was chocolate packed upon chocolate, and so rich my teeth hurt after eating it! The top of the cake, however, was piled high with whipped cream and beautiful Concord grapes that served as a welcome break from the heavy chocolate base. The grapes took the chocolate cake to the next level.
In the fall, my favorite fruit to use is the apple. It can be used in salads, as a garnish for meat dishes, as a snack on its own, or as the star of a quick and simple dessert. The Granny Smith apple takes the lead in this sweet casserole with cinnamon and a buttery crumble topping.
English Apple Casserole
What you’ll need…
3-8 tart apples, cored and sliced, skin left on
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Sprinkle cinnamon and salt over apple slices and toss together. Place mixture in a 3-quart baking dish.
3. Combine flour, sugar, and butter to form crumbs. Spread over the apple mixture.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes or so.
5. Broil for about 5 minutes to brown top of casserole.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!