It’s easy to jump into tending potted plants and even making raised bed herb gardens. Bigger garden projects, however, can seem a bit daunting. If you arm yourself with some knowledge and break down the process into steps, you can really conquer any project.
Want to plant a tree, but don’t know where to start? Start the learning process with a few key tips.
When planting a tree…
- Rake mulch around the area where you’ll be planting the tree.
- Dig a hole 2 times the diameter of the tree roots. Start a small hole and gradually dig a wider, deeper hole.
- Make sure the soil at the bottom of the hole is packed tightly.
- Roll the tree into the hole. Pack soil around the roots, making sure there are no air pockets.
- Cut the burlap and unwrap root cover. Pack soil around tree and water.
These tips seem especially timely since tomorrow is Arbor Day! Tackle a tree-planting project in your yard or lend your time and hands to an Arbor Day garden project in your area. The Arbor Day Foundation has a great guide (How to Celebrate Arbor Day) on how to make a community project happen- from fundraising ideas to info on the right tree to plant. You can also find tidbits on your state’s tree. Check it out here!