My daughter Prentiss absolutely loves when she can bring a friend home from school (with a bus pass, of course!). It’s so fun to watch her and her buddy figure out what to play and to hear them chit chat about whatever it is 6 year-olds are thinking. And oh how little sister Meredith loves tagging along with the “big girls.”
The next time her favorite pal comes over for a play date, I’ve decided to pull out all the stops and make Coffee Can Ice Cream with the girls. It’s easy enough that my 2-year-old can join in!
Activity- check! Snack- check!
What you’ll need…
1 3-lb. coffee can with lid
1 1-lb. coffee can with lid
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup cold milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup rock salt
Beach or bath towel
1. Make sure your cans are clean.
2. Fill the 1-lb can with cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. Seal with lid and duct tape for extra safety.
3. Place the 1-lb can inside the 3-lb can. Fill the rest of the 3-lb can with salt and ice. Close the large can and seal with duct tape.
4. Lay your towel on the ground and roll the can back and forth for 15 minutes.
5. Open up the small can and stir up the mixture. You may need to repeat step 3 and 4 if mixture is not frozen.
6. Top with desired ingredients or enjoy plain!
Did you make homemade ice cream growing up? Have any helpful hints? Fill me in here.