http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Choc_Spice_Cake2_600Main.jpg 400 600 kbw71 http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/KB-Logo.png kbw712012-07-20 16:01:002016-12-20 19:00:06Chocolate Spice Cake
MAKES ONE 10" ROUND CAKE
- 1 8-ounce package Bakers bittersweet chocolate
- 11/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 11/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Non-stick spray
- Confectioner's sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Rough chop chocolate with a serrated knife, and place in a large food processor with flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Pulse mixture to aerate and combine.
- In a mixing bowl add egg yolks, half of the sugar, beat with an electric mixer until pale, Reduce speed and add oil slowly. Add cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, and salt and mix until combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy add remaining sugar and beat until medium peaks. Mix 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour mixture into oiled pan and spread evenly, and bake for 40 minutes until the sides pull away, or a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow cake to cool, remove from pan and dust with confectioner's sugar.