Well the May 5th celebration is almost here and I love the next recipe I am about to share. Not just because of it’s rich flavors or it’s bold color or the garnishes that make it taste oh so fresh. No, it is one of my favorites because it is the recipe that I craved every single day that I had the honor of carrying my baby Prentiss in my belly. Nope, I did not want the pickles or the ice cream, just the read hot spicy taste from the land of Mexico.
My friend Kristen had just the mix that hit the spot. She would deliver it warm and she would deliver it often. So Cinco de Mayo and the land south of the border and specifically this tortilla soup recipe will always hold a special spot in my heart for it, and they, got me through some of the rougher patches of pregnancy. Join with me as we celebrate all things Mexico and raise a spoon to this great land…..
What You’ll Need…
- 15 ounce can of whole tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper, seeded
- 48 ounce can chicken broth
- Corn tortillas, cut into ¼ inch thick strips
- Oil for frying
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a blender or food processor, puree tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipotle pepper.
- In a large pot, add tomato mixture and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill a frying pan a quarter of the way full with oil. Heat oil and fry tortillas until crispy and golden. Remove from oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Remove soup from heat and add lime juice. Garnish with fried tortilla strips.
Make it chic…This soup tastes and looks great when you add splashes of diced avocado, thinly sliced green onion, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped cilantro and lime wedges. Tell us how you enjoyed this festive soup over the weekend…