I have a friend whose family sends her a shipment of caramel apples from her Midwest hometown every year. No matter where she’s living, she is lucky enough to get a box full of the most gooey, crunchy, break-a-tooth-or-two caramel apples. I always try to see her around this time to take one or two off her hands…
Tell me one thing- why are caramel apples such an intimidating thing to make? Maybe they’re just so good that you think you couldn’t make them on your own, but I tell you, you can! Follow this quick recipe for Nutty Caramel Apples that will bring that flavor of fall right to your kitchen.
Nutty Caramel Apples
What you’ll need…
(1) 14-ounce bag caramels, unwrapped
8 small apples
1 cup mixe salted nuts, finely chopped
Popsicle sticks or small clean twigs, cut down to 5-inch lengths
1. Place caramels in a saucepan and melt over low heat.
2. Insert Popsicle sticks or twigs in apples and dig apples in caramel. Allow excess to drip.
3. Roll caramel-covered apples in nuts.
4. Place on wax paper-lined cookie sheets to set.
5. Refrigerate, or serve when cool.
Hint: You can substitute peanuts for pumpkin seeds. Check out my sweet Candy Pumpkin Apple recipe here.