Skillet Cornbread Recipe
Cooler weather means heartier meals: meat and potatoes of all sorts and chunky soups with a side of warm buttered bread. When I’m looking to change up the obligatory dinner roll, I turn to my delicious Skillet Cornbread recipe with jalapenos and pecans.
Ok, ok- with buttermilk, Crisco and butter…it may have to be a special treat. But with buttermilk, Crisco and butter…it might just be one of the most delicious cornbread recipes you can find!
What you’ll need…
2 Tablespoons Crisco
2 cups yellow coarse ground cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup sugar, plus enough to sprinkle over the top
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups buttermilk
½ cup honey
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons jalapeno pepper, minced
½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place a 9-inch cast-iron skillet with Crisco in the hot oven while you make the batter.
3. Combine cornmeal, baking powder, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
4. Slowly add the egg and buttermilk to the dry ingredients, stirring just until blended.
5. Add honey.
6. Add the melted butter and then stir in the jalapenos and pecans.
7. Remove skillet from the oven and pour batter into it.
8. Sprinkle sugar on top.
9. Return to the oven and bake until the top is golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Hint: You will not be disappointed if you pair Skillet Cornbread with the tequila- and garlic-infused BBQ Pork recipe!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!