Can we all agree that the winter landscape of white and grey needs a sprinkling of color every now and then? How about a dash of orange?
In this quick and easy how-to we’re making cute bird feeders that will add just the right amount of splash to your backyard, balcony, deck…whatever you’ve got! You’ll have cardinals, blue jays and chickadees cozying up to your home in no time.
- 1 Long nail
- 1 Orange
- Sticks (8-10 inches long)
- Small wooden beads
1. With the knife, cut off the top of the orange, about 1/2 inch down, and scoop out the fruit with the spoon.
2. Use the nail to punch 4 holes through the orange rind, 2 pairs directly across from each other. Push sticks through the holes for the birds to sit on. (The sticks will go through the orange rind parallel.)
3. Cut 4 lengths of twine. Knot a length of twine around each stick where the stick meets the orange. Gather the 4 pieces of twine and knot them at the top. This will be the hanger for your bird feeder.
4. Cut 4 more lengths of twine, at varying lengths. Knot them together to create a tassel. Decorate it by sliding small, wooden beads onto the twine and securing them with dabs of glue.
5. Use the nail to punch a hole in the bottom of the orange. Push the knot up through the hole in the orange so that the tassel hangs down.
6. Pour birdseed into orange.
Now orange you glad you read this tutorial today?