Over this past weekend, my family and I spent most of our time outside soaking up that warm summer sun. Between swimming and swings, we were eating snacks on our patio and reapplying sunblock. When it was time for dinner, guess what? We brought the food outside again for a relaxing meal made all the more special with some candles.
An easy way to add ambiance to your outdoor living space is to decorate with lanterns. This project will add a pop of color to your patio and give you that soft flickering light you want on breezy summer night. If the weather’s great, why go inside?
What you’ll need…
Black hanging lanterns
Assorted ribbons, various widths (choose any color!)
Hot glue gun
1. Gently loosen the glass on the four sides of the lantern.
2. Hot glue the ribbon to one corner of the lantern. Wait for the glue to dry and then weave the ribbon through the lantern bars. Hot glue the ribbon to each corner of the lantern to hold the ribbon in place.
3. Trim the excess ribbon and glue the end to the last corner of the lantern.
4. Replace the glass panes in the lanterns. This ensure that the ribbon will not be exposed to the flame.
5. Hang from various heights and place on top of the table. Put pillar candles inside and light.
Hint: You can search your local garden centers and furniture stores for hanging lanterns like the ones pictured here.