https://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/French-Onion-Soup_600MAIN.jpg 400 600 kbw71 http://katiebrown.com/katiebrown/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/KB-Logo.png kbw712012-07-23 17:51:282016-12-16 21:49:18Onion Soup with Croque Monsieur
- 5 medium-sized onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Madeira wine or sherry
- French baguette, sliced into 1½-inch pieces on a diagonal, toasted
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 4 slices of ham
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add onions and cook until onions caramelize and are dark, golden brown in color, about 30-45 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
- Add stock to onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer approximately 20 minutes.
- Tear your ham into desired sized pieces.
- Pour approximately 1 tablespoon of Madeira or sherry into each crock. You can have a shot glass on the side of the plate as a fun alternative.
- Ladle onion soup into crock/coffee mug.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mustard onto each slice of toasted bread. Place ham and grated cheese on top. Top soup with slice of toasted bread.
- Place under broiler to brown.
- Serve warm and melted.